Category Archives: Inspiration
What ever you believe or what holidays you celebrate, the coming of spring with its burst of colors, inspires the soul with fresh and new beginnings. Take just a moment to close your eyes and take a deep calming breath. The rat race can wait until tomorrow.
Happy Easter and Happy Passover and Happy Spring
The calendar will tell you it is spring – but it lies. It is cold, windy, and damp in this part of North Carolina and on a Sunday afternoon I would so prefer to be out in the sun gardening. So when I saw Fern House on my to read shelf, I thought it might be a nice way to vicariously spend time in a garden.
Ms. Schenck is very fortunate it own a property that lends itself to re-landscaping. The concept of creating a meadow of wildflowers is delightful, her work in the existing gardens is inspirational, and the concept of creating a pond from the foundation stones of an old building is brilliant. The incorporation of her artwork into the book was well applied, brings the warmth of the seasons to the book.
If you love gardens and need a quick read that goes well with a cup of tea and a comfy chair, you can’t miss with Fern House.
I REALLY didn’t feel like cooking, much less running out to the store to get supplies, so I shopped my pantry and refrigerator and came up with a very tasty pasta salad.
I found a box of orzo and a bottle of Feta salad dressing and this provided the base of my idea. I went to my herb garden and collected fresh basal, oregano, chives, and garlic chives. I stopped by the pea vines and collected a few snow peas. Digging through the crisper drawer in the refrigerator, I found a large vine tomato and white onion.
The rest was simple, dice or chop the produce, boil the orzo, combine them with the Feta salad dressing and YUM!!!.
Nothing is more rewarding than creating something fun and delicious.
1. What is the strangest thing you have ever eaten in public?
Raw clams – aggggh – it was on a dare.
2. If you had to go on an adventure, with elves, dwarves, or hobbits, who would you take and why?
3. You are at a rural retreat lodge somewhere deep in Wisconsin or Canada. You are approached by a taxidermist who hands you a stuffed badger and asks you to put it in your lap. What do you do next?
Put it in my lap – that’s what the taxidermist asked me to do. But I stop short on starting a conversation with it.
4. If you were given a biscotti, would you prefer to eat it with coffee, tea, or hot chocolate?
Coffee – hands down for biscotti – short bread with tea, and brownie with hot cocoa.
5. In your opinion, who is the funniest man or woman alive today (comedian).
I prefer comedy with wit over physical or slapstick – so I would have to go with Alan Alda.
6. If you were given thirty seconds on television to say something, what would it be?
Treat the earth and your fellow denizens with kindness and respect.
7. What is your idea of the most romantic date setting ever?
The beach – with picnic basket full of strawberries, sweet white wine, cheese, French baguette, and sun screen.
8. If you could go on one date with a movie or television star, who would it be and why?
No one. I once saw an interview with an actor from my favorite series on TV and I nearly gagged when I realized that I love the character not the actor. There is no living up to the imagined perfection of a character.
9. What is the worst song you have ever heard?
So many to choose from – so little time, but Delilah is definitely on the top of the list.
10. If you could live anywhere else, where would it be?
11. Who- in your opinion- was the greatest person to ever live?
I never cease to learn something new from my daughter. It is refreshing to see the world through someone else’s eyes.
As I reflect on 2012, I am sort of saddened to see the year end. It was a fairly good year for me and I hope it was for you all as well. Tonight, as the undeterred march of time takes us into 2013, I think of all of you who made the past year special and want you to know that I am grateful!
One special shout out for 2012 – Kelsey Ketch – thank you for all your encouragement and tutorials for my blog!
Last Thursday I was enjoying the beach, since Sunday we’ve been chilled out. October is a fickle month.
What a great book. My daughter bought this book for me a week ago and it was pure inspiration. The friends and family compliment the reflections of Jim Henson. I found it very uplifting to read something positive about someone I truly admired.